Neuromas In Rocky Mount, NC
Neuromas are painful, and if you’ve ever had one, you know how difficult it can be to walk and stay active. They can make activities which were once enjoyable seem like an agonizing task. Fortunately, your podiatrist can help you get relief from a neuroma.
What a Neuroma Is and What It Feels Like
Neuromas are areas of thick tissue which surround and put pressure on the nerves in your feet. The pressure causes sharp, stabbing pain, which can be severe and debilitating. You may also experience a stinging sensation, tingling, numbness, and burning.
The Risk Factors for Developing a Neuroma
You are at increased risk of experiencing neuromas if you:
- Have bunions or hammertoes
- Are flat-footed or you have high arches
- Wear tight shoes or high heels
- Run, jog, or do other high impact activities
Home Remedies To Ease the Pain of Neuromas
You may be able to get some relief from neuroma pain if you:
- Place an ice pack on the neuroma
- Take over-the-counter pain or anti-inflammatory medications
- Substitute low-impact activities instead of high-impact activities
- Switch to more comfortable, supportive shoes
How Your Podiatrist Can Treat Neuromas
Diagnosis and treatment of neuromas is just one of many foot and ankle conditions your podiatrist can treat. Common professional treatments of neuromas include:
- Custom-fit orthotics, footwear, and arch supports
- Inserts, wedges, foot pads, and cushioning products
- Corticosteroid injections to limit swelling and inflammation
For severe, stubborn neuroma pain which doesn't respond to other forms of therapy, surgery may be recommended.
Don’t let your life be impacted by painful neuromas. Your podiatrist can help you achieve relief from neuroma pain, so you can get back on your feet.